The Weekly | March 29, 2018
A creative way to make use of leftover hot cross buns (or any other buns if you prefer) is in this Apple & Pear Bun Crumble Bake – so yummy!
Prep: 15 mins Cook: 25 mins Yields: 6 Servings
2 hot cross buns, torn
⅓ cup natural almonds
½ cup brown sugar
4 pears, peeled, cored and chopped
1 tbsp plain flour
1 cup apple juice cream, whipped cream and micro-mint, to serve
1.Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C. Lightly grease a 6-cup dish.
2. BUN CRUMBLE In a food processor, pulse 2 torn hot cross buns, natural almonds and 25g butter together until roughly chopped. Set aside.
3. In a large heavy-based saucepan, melt another 50g butter on medium. Add brown sugar and cook 3-4 mins, stirring, until dissolved with butter.
4. Mix in pears and cook 2-3 mins, until just tender.
5. Add plain flour and cook, stirring, 1 min.
6. Mix in apple juice and simmer, stirring, 2-3 mins until sauce boils and thickens slightly. Pour into dish.
7. Scatter crumble mixture over. Bake 20-25 mins, until golden and bubbles appear around the edge.
8. Serve the bake topped with whipped cream and micro-mint.
Photos: Rob Shaw & John Paul Urizar/bauersyndication.com.au