PREP 30 MINS COOK 30 MINS SERVES 4
500g butternut squash
4 russet potatoes
2 cups Laucke Type”00″ flour (Available at Cold Storage outlets)
2 tbsps parmesan cheese, grated, plus extra to serve
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp salt
100g salted butter
Salt and pepper to taste
A handful of rocket leaves and cherry tomatoes to serve with
- Line two baking trays with baking paper sprinkled with some flour. Steam butternut squash and russet potatoes separately until tender. Put the butternut squash and potatoes through a potato ricer while still hot. Measure a cup of mashed butternut squash and russet potatoes, and place into a mixing bowl (keep the remaining for another use).
- Add sifted flour, parmesan, nutmeg, salt, and egg. Mix until it becomes dough-like.
- Turn dough into a floured surface. Knead gently and briefly until smooth. Divide dough into 8 portions.
- Roll each dough into 1/2-inch rope and cut into 3/4-inch pieces.
- Use a fork to make ridges on the cut-out dough and place onto prepared tray in a single layer. Repeat with remaining dough. Chill dough for at least an hour. Cook gnocchi in two to three batches (depending on the size of the pot) in boiling salted water. Cook the gnocchi for another 3 mins once it floats up and transfer to tray (see tip). Once cooled, cover loosely with cling wrap.
- Heat butter in a large pan over medium heat until dark golden in colour while continuously stirring. Add in gnocchi, cook until heated through and well coated in butter, around 3-4 mins. Add in parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon gnocchi onto serving plate with some parsley and extra parmesan cheese. Serve with rocket leaves, cherry tomatoes, and parmesan cheese.
TIP: Transfer the cooked gnocchi back to the tray using a slotted spoon and allow it to cool in a single layer to ensure it does not stick to one another, gnocchi can be cooked 8 hours ahead.
Find this Laucke Type “00” at your nearest Cold Storage outlet!