The Weekly | July 26, 2016
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1½ hours
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
500g lamb sausages, chopped
2 carrots, peeled, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
400g can diced tomatoes
1 cup chicken stock
1 bouquet garni (see tip)
400g cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
1/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs
500g potatoes, peeled, halved
½ cup milk
½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
½ bunch kale, blanched, chopped
1. In a large heavy-based saucepan, heat oil on medium. Sauté onion, 6 mins, until browned.
2. Add sausage and cook 4 to 5 mins. Stir in carrot and garlic and cook 2 mins.
3. Add tomatoes, stock and bouquet garni. Bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, 1 hour. Stir in beans.
4. Meanwhile, prepare kale mash. In a saucepan of boiling salted water, cook potatoes 15 to 20 mins, until very tender. Drain. Return to pan and mash well with milk and Parmesan. Roughly mix through kale and season to taste.
5. Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C.
6. Transfer mixture to an 8-cup baking dish, discarding bouquet garni. Spoon kale mash over top. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake 15 to 20 mins, until crumbs are golden and toasted.
TIP: To make the bouquet garni, push black peppercorns into a celery stalk. Cut in half and tie together with 2 thyme sprigs, 2 halved parsley stalks and 1 bay leaf.