Sa'idah Jaffar | May 16, 2017
PREP 20 Mins + Chilling COOK 20 Mins MAKES 16
2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
1 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup cornflour
1/2 cup custard powder
1/4 cup cocoa
3 cups Farmhouse Fresh Milk (Available at all Cold Storage outlets)
300ml tub thickened cream
100g dark chocolate, finely chopped
60g butter, chopped
2 egg yolks
2 tsps vanilla bean paste
1/2 cup thickened cream
200g dark chocolate, chopped
2 x 50g Snickers bars, sliced
1. Preheat oven to very hot, 220°C. Lightly grease a 2-3cm square cake pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending 2cm over the edge.
2. On trays, bake pastry sheets for 10-12mins, until puffed and golden. Cover with a tea towel. Gently flatten pastry with hands. Using pan as guide, trim pastry sheets to fit line base of pan.
3. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornflour, custard powder, and cocoa. Stir in a little combined milk and cream. Gradually add remaining milk mixture, stirring until smooth. Stir on low heat until boiling. Simmer 3 mins until very thick and smooth.
4. Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate and butter, then yolks and vanilla. Pour custard into pan over pastry, smoothing surface. Top with remaining pastry sheet. Press down gently. Chill for 1 hour.
5. CHOCOLATE GANACHE.In a saucepan, bring cream to a simmer. Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl and pour cream over. Stir until smooth. Spread over pastry, then decorate with Snickers.
TIP: You could replace Snickers bars with Mars or Twix for the ganache.
This Farmhouse Fresh Milk is available for purchase at all Cold Storage outlets!