The Weekly | April 6, 2015
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
1¼ cups self-raising ﬂour
1½ tbsps caster sugar
1¼ cups fresh milk
1 tbsp grated orange zest
30g butter, chop
2 oranges, break into segments
½ cup hazelnuts, toast in an oven toaster for 4 to 5 mins and chop
1 cup hazelnut spread
¹⁄ ³ cup cream
1. Sift flour into a large bowl. Stir in sugar and make a well in the centre. Whisk in combined milk, egg and orange zest until smooth.
2. To prepare the sauce, combine hazelnut spread and cream in a saucepan. Stir over a low fire until smooth.
3. Stir half cup sauce into batter until smooth and well-combined. Reserve remaining sauce.
4. Melt a little butter in a large frying pan over medium fire. Pour ¹⁄ ³ cup of batter into pan. Cook for 2 to 3 mins, until bubbles appear on the surface and begin to break and the underside is golden. Turn and cook for another 1 to 2 mins. Repeat with remaining batter, adding butter to the pan as required.
5. Serve in stacks topped with remaining sauce and orange segments, and sprinkled with toasted nuts.
Tip: You can try other nuts – almonds, cashews – for this recipe. Use creamy peanut butter in place of hazelnut spread for sauce.
Photo: Rob Shaw / Bauersyndication.com.au