The Weekly | June 27, 2016
Prep 1 hour / Cook 50 mins / Serves 6
125g salted butter, cold, cut into cubes
240g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg yolk
2 tsps vanilla essence
200g dates, seeded, coarsely chopped
4 tbsps almond nibs
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Line the baking tray with baking paper.
2. In a food processor, pulse butter, flour and baking powder until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
3. Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Add the egg yolk and vanilla. Combine gently. Add 1 to 2 tbsps of cold water if the mixture is too dry. Cover the bowl with cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 mins.
4. Combine dates with almond nibs. Roll into 12 balls. Flatten the balls slightly.
5. Lightly flour the tabletop and roll out the dough to a thickness of 5mm.
6. Cut out dough with a pineapple cookie cutter and place onto tray. Place date balls on top and press it down gently.
7. Bake for 25 mins and leave to cool on wire rack.
By Sa’idah Sheikh Jaffar / Photo: Chris Leong / Styling and recipes: Cindy Koo