The Weekly | March 29, 2018
Make the most of your Easter hot cross bun leftovers to make this glorious pudding – it goes perfectly with some cream or a scoop of your favourite ice-cream.
Yields: 4 Servings
2 tbsps brown sugar
1 tbsp water
2 medium pears, peeled, cored, sliced
1½ cups milk
300ml carton cream
1 vanilla bean, halved lengthways, seeds scraped
4 leftover hot cross buns, thickly sliced
2 tbsps caster sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
Ice-cream or cream, to serve
1. Preheat oven to moderately low, 160°C. Lightly grease a deep 6-cup ovenproof dish.
2. In a medium frying pan, combine brown sugar and water, heat on low, stirring, until sugar dissolves.
3. Add pear slices and simmer, uncovered, 3-5 mins, until just tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
4. In a medium saucepan, bring milk, cream and vanilla bean to boiling point. Remove from heat. Set aside, cover 5 mins. Discard vanilla bean.
5. Arrange bun and pear in alternate layers in prepared dish. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, caster sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg together. Gradually beat in warm cream mixture.
6. Strain egg mixture carefully over bun and pear. Place dish in a large baking pan, adding enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the dish.
7. Bake 55-60 mins, until set.
8. Serve with ice-cream or cream.
Tip: Pudding can be covered with plastic wrap and chilled for up to 5 days.
Recipe & Photo: Woman’s Day/bauersyndication.com.au