The Weekly | March 29, 2018
Delicious served with bacon, poached eggs and a drizzle of maple syrup, this sweet treat is made from leftover hot cross buns (or you can use other normal buns if you like).
Prep: 5 mins Cook: 15 mins Yields: 4 Buns
½ cup milk
1 tbsp caster sugar
50g unsalted butter
4 hot cross buns
MAPLE CINNAMON BANANA
⅓ cup maple syrup
½ tsp ground cinnamon
2 bananas, sliced lengthways
Coconut yoghurt, strawberries and toasted coconut flakes, to serve
1. In a bowl, whisk 2 eggs, ½ cup milk and 1 tbsp caster sugar lightly to combine.
2. In a large non-stick frying pan, melt 50 g unsalted butter on medium.
3. Dip 4 halved hot cross buns into egg mixture to soak through on both sides. Pan-fry in butter 1 to 2 mins each side, until golden and crisp. Repeat with remaining buns.
4. MAPLE CINNAMON BANANA In a large non-stick frying pan, heat ⅓ cup maple syrup, 20 g butter and ½ tsp ground cinnamon on high, until melted. Bring to boil, cook 2 to 3 mins.
5. Halve 2 bananas lengthways. Add to pan, tossing gently. Cook 1 to 2 mins, until just soft. Remove from heat.
6. Top buns with maple bananas. Serve with coconut yoghurt, strawberries and toasted coconut flakes.
Photos: Rob Shaw & John Paul Urizar/bauersyndication.com.au