The Weekly | March 29, 2018
If you love almond cookies, this hot cross bun cookie recipe will be a delight to make and enjoy. Serve them up for Easter or as a special treat during teatime.
125g butter, softened
⅔ cup (150g) caster (superfine) sugar
¼ cup (40g) finely chopped mixed peel
½ cup (80g) dried currants
2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
1 tsp mixed spice
2 tsps milk
2 tbsps ground almond
2 tbsps apricot jam (conserve), warmed, strained
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease oven trays, line with baking paper.
2. Beat butter, sugar and egg in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Stir in peel, currants, sifted flour and spice, and milk and in two batches.
3. Roll rounded teaspoons of mixture into balls; place about 5cm apart on oven trays.
4. Knead ground almond into marzipan. Roll marzipan into 0.5cm diameter lengths; cut into 4cm strips.
5. Brush cookies with a little milk; place marzipan crosses on cookies, press down gently to attach.
6. Bake about 15 mins. Brush cookies with jam; cool on trays.
Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Recipe & Photo: The Australian Women’s Weekly/BauerSyndication.com.au