PREP 15 Mins COOK 1 Hour SERVES 12
2 cups self-raising flour
1/4 cup malted milk powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 large ripe mashed bananas
125g butter, melted
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
1/4 cup water
50g butter, chopped
1/3 cup cream
Fresh berries, to serve
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C. Lightly grease and line a 10 x 20cm loaf pan.
- Sift the flour, milk powder, cinnamon together in a large bowl. Make a well in centre. In a bowl, combine the bananas, butter, eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Fold lightly into flour mixture. Pour into pan. Bake 55-60 mins, covering with foil if over-browning, until cooked when tested. Cool.
- CARAMEL Meanwhile, in a saucepan, stir the caster sugar and water on low until sugar dissolves. Boil, not stirring, 7-8 mins until mixture is a caramel colour. Remove from heat and add the chopped butter (mixture will bubble). Stir in the cream and set aside.
- Using a skewer, poke holes on top of banana bread. Drizzle hot caramel over cool bread. Cool.
- Serve remaining cooled caramel with banana bread (see tip). Scatter with fresh berries to serve.
TIP: Microwave caramel in 15-second bursts if it firms too much.