Recipe by That Last Slice (@thatlastslice)
100g icing sugar
50g almond powder
½ tsp salt
100g butter, cold, cut into chunks
1 egg, lightly beaten plus extra for egg wash
Passion fruit curd
6 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
2/3 cup unsweetened passion fruit puree, thawed
½ cup unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch cubes
4 large eggs whites, room temperature
1/8 tsp salt
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup water
Coconut flakes coloured with blue pea flower, optional
- TART SHELL. Prepare tart rings on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Preheat oven to 175°C. In a large bowl, mix together the first four ingredients. Add in butter chunks and rub in with the flour using only your fingertips. It should result into a coarse sandy texture that resembles breadcrumbs. Add in the egg little by little.
- Knead the dough until it is no longer sticky. Wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 20 mins.
- Unwrap dough, roll out half dough lined with two parchment papers using a rolling pin.
- Cut into circular shapes a little bigger than the tart ring. Carefully place the dough into the tart ring. Press lightly to fit all corners, making sure there is excess dough left from the tart ring.
- Trim excess dough to create a clean edge. Poke holes using fork all over the dough. Chill again for another 10 mins. Brush with egg wash. Bake in the oven for about 20 mins.
- PASSION FRUIT CURD. Whisk together eggs, sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a bowl until smooth.
- Heat passion fruit puree in a 1 ½ to 2 quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat until heated through. Next, add hot puree to egg mixture in a slow stream, whisking until combined. Return to saucepan.
- Whisk in butter, 1 cube at a time over moderate heat and cook, whisking frequently until mixture thickens and just comes to a boil, about 6 mins.
- Cook, whisking constantly for another 2 mins. Force curd through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl and cover the surface with wax paper. Chill for at least 8 hours.
- Combines whites and salt in a bowl. Bring sugar and water to a boil in a 1 to 1 ½ quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Place a thermometer face down into sugar syrup, resting the other end against rim of saucepan. Continue to boil (do not stir), brushing any sugar crystals down side of pan with pastry brush dipped in water.
- When syrup reaches about 235°F, beat egg whites with salt at medium-high speed until the just hold soft peaks. Once syrup reaches 238 to 242°F, immediately remove syrup from heat and pour into a slow, thin stream downside of bowl into whites (avoid hitting the beaters). Beat at high speed until meringue is cool to the touch, about 10 mins in a stand mixer or 15 mins with a handheld.
- TO ASSEMBLE. Transfer Tart Shell to a cake plate. Spoon Passion Fruit Curd into shell and spread evenly. Dollop meringue on top of curd, then spread to edge of crust. Draw meringue up into peaks using rubber spatula.
- Move blow torch flame evenly back and forth over meringue peaks, holding flame 1 to 2 inches from meringue to avoid burning, until lightly browned in spots. Garnish with coconut flakes if liked.