The Weekly | July 15, 2016
Prep 25 mins (plus infusing)
Cook 40 mins
2 tbsps olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 red capsicum, seeded, finely sliced
1 green capsicum, seeded, finely sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp Spanish paprika
Pinch of saffron threads
3 cups fish stock, hot
1¼ cups paella rice or medium-grain rice
400g can diced tomatoes
500g green prawns, peeled, deveined, tails on
500g mussels or clams, scrubbed, beards removed
½ cup frozen broad beans, thawed, peeled
Parsley leaves, lemon wedges, to serve
1. In a paella pan or large, deep, heavy-based frying pan, heat oil on medium. Saute onion and capsicums, 5 to 6 mins, until tender. Stir in garlic and paprika and cook 1 min.
2. In a large jug, add saffron to stock and set aside 15 to 20 mins to infuse.
3. Add rice to pan and cook, stirring for
1 min. Mix in 2½ cups stock mixture and tomatoes. Season to taste. Bring to boil on high, then reduce heat to low and simmer gently 15 mins. Do not stir.
4. Arrange prawns and mussels over rice. Add remaining stock and scatter with broad beans. Cook, covered, a further 4 to 5 mins, until mussels open and prawns change colour.
5. Set aside, covered, 4 to 5 mins. Sprinkle with parsley and accompany with lemon wedges to serve.
Photo by BRETT STEVENS/BAUERSYNDICATION.COM.AU