Recipe by The Sweet Spot (@thesweetspot.com.my)
Makes 3 x 8” cakes
40g BOH tea dust
1 tbsp condensed milk
50ml evaporated milk
300g caster sugar
450g all purpose flour, sifted
2 tsp baking powder, sifted
Pinch of salt
180g whipping cream
15g BOH tea dust
200g white chocolate
Italian Meringue Buttercream
180g caster sugar
4 egg whites
500g salted butter
- Line 3 x 8” round baking pans with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Add tea dust into water and bring to a boil. Once boiled, strain using a cloth and add in condensed milk and evaporated milk. Set aside to cool.
- Cream butter and caster sugar in a mixer till fluffy. Add in eggs one a time and mix till fully incorporated.
- Sift all purpose flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Add half the dry ingredients into the batter and mix on low speed. Gradually pour in the prepared tea. Add in the remaining flour and mix till well incorporated.
- Divide and pour into 3 pans, bake for 27 mins or until skewer comes out clean when inserted.
- Once cake is baked, remove from pan and let it cool.
- Pour cream and tea dust in a small pot and bring to a boil. Pour over a strainer with a muslin cloth over and into the white chocolate. Stir till combined. Cool in the fridge.
- BUTTER CREAM. Add caster sugar and water into a small pot and bring to a boil. Using a candy thermometer, let the sugar syrup boil to 115°C.
- Pour egg whites into a clean mixing bowl with whisk attachment, whisk on high speed till foamy and white. Reduce speed to medium, with the whisk running; slowly pour in the sugar syrup.
- Once all syrup has poured in, whisk on medium high speed for 6 mins.
- Cut butter to small cubes; gradually add butter into the egg white mixture till all butter has added in. Once all butter has been added in, reduce speed to low and whisk for 5 minutes.
- To assemble the cake, place a layer of cake on a cake board. Spread a thin layer of butter cream. Pour half the amount of ganache on top of the butter cream.
- Add the next cake layer and repeat with butter cream and ganache. Add the third layer of cake. Use a spatula to spread butter cream on the side and top of the cake.
- To make flowers, you may add some gel colours to the butter cream and a piping nozzle.
Piping Tip #104 is a versatile piping tip that can be used to pipe flowers, borders and even ruffles.