The thought of being allowed to play “masak-masak” with real ingredients will get any child excited! While some amount of mess is to be expected, teaching and assisting your kids while they cook or bake will enable them to develop new competencies – and in a highly enjoyable setting!
- Instil self-esteem and confidence – The hands-on guidance and encouragement given by a parent is very powerful in building a child’s self-image and their belief in their own abilities. In an environment of trust, the child doesn’t fear making mistakes or failing.
- Build math and science skills – Learning how to measure ingredients allows your kid to put into application what they’ve learn in books, which then lets them appreciate math lessons from another perspective. Learning about temperature also teaches them basic science principles.
- Develop better comprehension and reading skills – Cooking requires one to learn how to understand recipes and the steps involved. This allows the child to practise their comprehension as well as develop their ability to process information in a logical manner.
- Learn patience – Cooking with your children also teaches them to be patient as cooking takes a lot of patience when it comes to preparing the ingredients for the dishes, how the raw ingredients need to be chopped or sliced or even when it comes to boiling the dishes.
- Gives them knowledge of the different types of food and the different ways to use it – For example, the different types of herbs or the different types of mushrooms, etc.
Let your kids enjoy whilst learning how to cook or bake and try making these 5 recipes at home.